Life Lessons

IF YOU GET A CHANCE, TAKE IT! IF IT CHANGES YOUR LIFE, LET IT!

Saturday, January 3, 2015

Cider and Cocoa (and Cotton)

I wrote out a Christmas list, but the only thing I really wanted was a new piece for my Christmas Village.  A few blogs ago I wrote about my obsession with the village. It has been years since I have added any large piece because  I can't find anything "village worthy".  This year was different.  When I took Hannah and Tater to check out the village at Menard's in Superior I found THE perfect addition!

I wanted it so badly, and needed the right piece, so I actually printed it off the picture and gave it to The Brown Eyed Man, along with my list.  Then crossed my fingers.

This is what happened.

First off, you need to know that The Man has an aversion to certain sensory things.  I have my village set on a white table cloth, because he has a strong reaction to anything like cotton batting, or felt.  He avoids it at all costs.  When I asked for the village piece, I knew he would have to get near the cottony village set up to get it, so I did tell him how much I wanted it, and suggested he ask an employee to grab it, or have my sister help him out.

Bless his heart, he went on his own.  He went to the Menard's near work.  Gone.  He went up the hill to Menard's. Gone.  He came down to the Superior Menard's. Gone.  One week before Christmas, and they were all out of the Mt. Woodland's Cider and Cocoa shop.  They are only available in store.

Christmas Eve TBEM tried again at the Superior store.

He went over to the village set up, and sure enough no Cider/Cocoa shop.  Then he noticed a box way up above.  Getting an employee to climb up and investigate, it was an empty box.  The box used for the display model.  The Brown Eyed Man asked to buy said display, but the dude didn't think he could sell it.  TBEM said "It's Christmas Eve.  You don't need it anymore.  Please go and ask a manager if you can sell it to me."  The dude responded with, "I doubt they will unhook all of this just to sell it to you, but I will ask."

When the dude was out of sight, the Brown Eyed Man grabbed the ladder, climbed up amid the COTTON, found the plug, got it out, untangled it from the neighbors, and scurried back down the ladder. (When he told me that part of the story, I almost started to cry....)

The employee came back, and said "I can sell it to you if it doesn't disrupt anything."

The Brown Eyed Man reached up, and handed it to the startled employee.  They popped it into the empty box, and he moved outta dodge fast.


After hearing the whole story:

Me: That's really sweet, I just love it!  It's perfect!  I guess I will have to be nice to you.

BEM: Are you turning over a new leaf?

Me:  Nope.  (wild laughter)  It's just for today.

Now my village is perfect!
When I told my brothers that story on Christmas night (and I will include family friend Eric in the brother category)  they all decided that they wouldn't go through that much, and I should be nice for more than a day, at The Brown Eyed Man's Discretion.  He likes that idea.


I said o.k. BUT I need it in writing, notarized, three days in advance.  ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment