Life Lessons

IF YOU GET A CHANCE, TAKE IT! IF IT CHANGES YOUR LIFE, LET IT!

Sunday, January 28, 2018

The Family Tree

A few weeks ago my sister Kate and her husband Tom got their dna results back from Ancestry.com.  They decided to purchase a membership and start work on a family tree.  I have all the family information, so she gave me her password. We may as well work together, as it's the same tree going upward.

So for the past couple of weeks I have been delving into different aspects of the tree.  It irritates me to no end that I'm stuck on my Great Grandparents Meys.  The immigrated from Belgium in 1907 (he came a few years earlier) and the trail ends.  It was that way when I started looking ten years ago, and it hasn't changed.  They have a pretty amMEYSing story, and I would like to find some of the family they left behind.  I shall not give up.

Anyhoo...... I get sucked into the trees and hours go by.  It can be kind of emotional.  I mean this is where you come from.  I focus on one part of the family, and then as I'm finishing up I go to add something on another part and find the trail that leads me to my Great Grandfather TEN generations back.  I found family that my Mom talked about, but I never met, and saw pictures of their gravestones.  My Great Grandfathers family having three different spellings of the last name in one family group. WHY?!  We are Lenihan.  Some are Linehan.  Some are Lennihan.  They all have the same Linehan father.  I think my Mom told me that her Grandpa changed the spelling because it was confusing for mail, etc with so many siblings in the same area.  Not as confusing as trying to put these folks together I bet!

Now back to 10 generations ago:

Pierre Desautels Sr. was born in Sarthe, France in 1631. (When I was a little girl that side of the family always said they were from France.....well, um........sure, but until about 1650 that was Canadian.  Ok, unless it's closer from my Great Grandfather's side. I haven't been there yet. This is my Great Grandmother's side)

Joseph was born in 1668
Michel was born in 1701
Gaspard was born in 1743
Michel was born in 1775
Joseph was born in 1805  *this dude had at least three wives (at least two at once) and 18 children
Antoine was born in 1840

All of the above are born in Canada

Florida Desautels was born in 1889 (both parents from Canada)
Eva Ann Marquerite Laverdiere in 1907
Edward Joseph Meys in 1933
ME  in 1969

So I'm like really solid Canadian.  That bodes well if I decide to jump ship and head north.

I found all of this information in one afternoon.  It's astounding what you can do with the internet today, vs what I could find ten years ago.  I'm mentally exhausted.  I think it's time for a hot bath and a book to turn my brain off for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment