Life Lessons

IF YOU GET A CHANCE, TAKE IT! IF IT CHANGES YOUR LIFE, LET IT!

Sunday, April 5, 2015

Fly A Kite

I had to look back to see what Meys family Easter traditions I have already written about!  I have covered the family dessert  http://queenie930.blogspot.com/2012/04/lemon-torte.html , and the family good deed,  http://queenie930.blogspot.com/2014/04/angel-pie.html, but there is so much more!

Every year, as far back as my memory goes (which probably means 40 years ago) the Meys children received kites for Easter.  I have so many fond memories of flying kites with my Dad and my siblings, Mom rarely got involved in outdoor activities.  We would usually head out after dinner to the empty lot behind our house.  We had the best chance of getting away from power lines right there.

We left the house with three kites, but I'm sure we always lost at least one!  Trees, string snapping, power lines, you name it.  I think how you are going to lose the kite is half of the adventure of kite flying!

We really needed to keep our kites in tact, however, because at school (St. Francis Xavier) the next month, to celebrate the feast of the Assention, we always had a kite flying contest!  After going to mass, and enjoying a picnic, we had kite flying contests by grade for the rest of the afternoon.  Sitting in the warm sunshine on the small rise just behind the school, watching the kites soar above the big green field was magical.  As a youngster I'm sure I flew my kite when the weather actually permitted this outing, and I know that when I was in the upper grades I flew my kite, and found a younger kid to help in every other contest.

Having a brother come along when you are nine years old kind of extends childhood for older siblings, so the kite flying continued at Easter.  There was probably a span of five years where there were no kites at home, but by then I was a Childcare Teacher, and I definitely shared my love of kites with the kids!  We had a big field at the college that was perfect.

Then Ashlyn came along, and I'm sure by the time she was two there was a kite in her basket.  I have a cute picture of her around here somewhere wearing a rain coat and boots, with a big smile on her face and a kite in her hand.  The other kids in turn have gotten kites.  As I'm writing this I am realizing that out front here, over the farmers field is perfect! No trees, no lines, nothing but space to soar!  I'm thinking I will be picking up a few more kites to keep here!

This afternoon we will gather at my sisters house to celebrate Easter, and TAFKAP's birthday.  I hemmed and hawed about kites for the older two, so I sent Baby College Pig Nose a text:

Auntie: Are you, in fact, too old for a kite?

Ash:  No one is ever too old for a kite.

So there was my answer.  It's probably too windy to fly them today, but I'm sure Uncle Tom will convince at least one of them to try.  Anyway, I'm thinking a kite flying picnic/party will be the first order of summer around here!

HAPPY EASTER!

No comments:

Post a Comment