Life Lessons

IF YOU GET A CHANCE, TAKE IT! IF IT CHANGES YOUR LIFE, LET IT!

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Pallet Palooza

It all started with a sink.

A few weeks ago the Brown Eyed man started cleaning out the garage.  A project that he still isn't finished with.  That would be partially my fault, for introducing him to Pinterest, and projects made from pallets of wood.  A few days into the garage cleaning I noticed an old sink sitting in my front yard.

"Great," I said to myself.  "Now I'm going to have a sink sitting in the front yard for a year and a half."  Time to come up with a clever use for said sink!  I have been seeing tons of projects that you make out of wood pallets on the Internet, so I said to The Brown Eyed Man, "What would you think if we used that sink as part of a potting bench for me?"  He seemed interested, so I showed him a few of the pictures I had on my Pinterest page.

A few days later a pile of pallets appeared in the back yard, and the garage cleaning was put on hold. The first thing I did was stain this large pallet, that arrived looking like a table top!  Yea!!  Nothing like a free picnic table!
table top

Then work began on the potting bench, which became bigger, and more involved than I imagined, but I love it!!  I have plenty of work space, and actually just used it to pot some fuchsia this afternoon!
Potting bench, with sink!
Then one day last week, when I came home from work in the pouring rain, The Brown Eyed Man had something he had to show me.  It was two pieces of a huge pallet that he had cut in half and propped up to look like a large bench/love seat.  We got soaked trying to figure out how it should go together.  It it definitely an "Edith Ann" seat for me.  For those of you who don't get the reference, my feet don't come anywhere near the ground.   This past weekend he finished it. 

Note the little patio, another project in the works.

Then instead of getting back to the garage, which was his weekend plan, he gave the table some legs. Now the table is more my height, so we have to set it on blocks or something.  Although the idea of putting wheels on it has been tossed around.  Then we could pull it with the four wheeler to different parts of the yard.

Ribs, home made potato salad and coleslaw, rum and coke, and a brand new picnic table!!
Today I bought two new chairs, and started on a set of picnic dishes.  *sigh* I have a problem with dishes, but that is another blog. :)

Then on Sunday I took a piece of pallet that was just hanging out and did this with it.
oriole feeder!
The best part?  It worked!!  Last year I saw one oriole, once.  This year we have had two for the past two weeks, drinking out of the humming bird feeder.  Today I saw three!!

Not sure what we'll take on next.  There is talk about chairs and a small table for down in the valley by the fire pit, but of course, there is a garage to be cleaned out.


No comments:

Post a Comment