Life Lessons

IF YOU GET A CHANCE, TAKE IT! IF IT CHANGES YOUR LIFE, LET IT!

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

May the Jarts Be With You

Growing up I loved to play Jarts, and I can not tell you how many hot summer afternoons Vicki and I  wasted away tossing spikes with plastic feathers into little yellow circles, for points, in her yard. Crank up the boom box with 80's tunes, and we were set.  Dangerous? I suppose so.  You can't buy the old kind in the stores anymore.  Some dumb bunnies probably took one to the head.  Worst thing that ever happened when we were playing was one stuck in the garage siding. (No Ma, it wasn't me.)
Jarts anyone?


I wanted to get a croquet set for our yard, but I'm going to have to order it online, because the local stores don't carry them on hand.  A few weeks ago Menards had a set in their Sunday ad, so I ran off gleefully to buy it.  Nope. Nothing. Nada.  BUT!  They had a set of lawn darts.  Hmmmm.... I wanted something to play with the kids, so I purchased a set.

This is what the new version look like.  Cheap plastic with a bean bag in the end.  No, they don't come with the nifty black stripe, that is electrical tape.  Every time one landed it burst apart. (eye roll)  Instead of taking them back (since we wanted to play) The Brown Eyed Man fixed them.

I came up with the idea of having a summer challenge, and the winner has to buy the loser Shamrock Pizza the Friday after Labor Day.  We had to discuss the rules, terms. etc. before we began.  There was a lot of discussing.  Then rules were modified (not by me) as we began the first game.  Then rules were changed back (that time it was me) during the second game.  So far we are 2-2.


These new "darts"are really a pain. They don't "stick" when you throw them, like the old kind.  They bounce all over creation.  You have to figure out where to bounce it to land it in, or near, the circle.  I was going to ask The Brown Eyed Man to just built us some real Jarts, but I can't.  (see pic on the left) The dang dog wont stay off the course.  He just lays wherever, and comes right up to us when we're throwing.  It is fun to be outside playing a game though.

Looking forward to the Goover Sleepover this weekend, time to teach the Goovs about lawn darts!  Oh, and there will be s'mores!  I believe I have hidden the chocolate well enough that it will make it that far. (If I don't get into it.........)

No comments:

Post a Comment