Life Lessons

IF YOU GET A CHANCE, TAKE IT! IF IT CHANGES YOUR LIFE, LET IT!

Friday, November 5, 2021

Peace

I've been saving things that mean something to me in a little pile for blog posts, hoping that the muse will wake up and have something to say when I go through them. I saw this one on the internet today, and it worked. Probably because I'm at peace at the moment. 
I'm striving hard for a life of peace, which isn't easy, it's hard enough managing my own mindset, but the minute you include other people, negativity can take over in a heartbeat. Over the last several years I've made big changes in my professional life to make it much more flexible, which has made a huge difference. The flexible schedule that I now have has also helped remove a large amount of stress from my personal life. 
Even though I had  already downsized to working part time, Covid forced me to cut the final tie with teaching the littles, a profession that I love.  Seriously though, there are few jobs with more stress than a childcare teacher in a large center. Add a lack of pay, and little or no benefits to that, and you'll understand why they can't keep staff.  
Hanging out, being a Personal Care Assistant for my niece Cierra, who is 16, has been a Godsend in many ways. I think it has been about four years now since her parents said they were going to look for some summer help. I was at my whits end at the daycare, and needed to make a move, so I offered to do it. For a couple years I had Cece in the summer, and then childcare and Cece during the school year, but with very reduced hours on the childcare side. I was working M-F 10-2 when Covid hit. Then a choice had to be made, to keep Cece safe. 
Leaving the kids so abruptly hurt my heart, and I was definitely depressed last fall when I knew I could not return, even part time, but I settled into my role as Ceces homeschool teacher. Virtual learning with a special needs child is...... so many things. It did, however, help all of us to see just how smart Cierra really is, making us better advocates for her now that she has returned to school. 
With Cece in school, I was able to return to the center, although now I only work a few days a week, and I tell them the week prior what my availability is. So I work when I want, and if I want, and I love it. I can help the young teachers, play with new friends, and there is no stress at all! 
I never realized how much anxiety controlled my life until I started stepping back. These days it's pretty much go with the flow, and I'm enjoying my days so much more. If I start obsessing or worrying I just tell myself, "That's anxiety, and we don't do that here. "  Works for me! I also concentrate on what I'm doing today, and today only.  Life is good my friends, life is GOOD! 


No comments:

Post a Comment