Life Lessons

IF YOU GET A CHANCE, TAKE IT! IF IT CHANGES YOUR LIFE, LET IT!

Saturday, May 8, 2010

S is for Stewardess

First off, let me state that any guilt I feel over sharing a little bit of my x's story combined with the part that belongs to me is eliminated by the fact that he has yet to return my bike. I warned him.......

I will also apologize because this blog jumps around in time so much! I have to throw this story in here right now, it is the catalyst for my Internet dating adventure. Until this happened I would have been content to become the crazy cat lady (although I'm really a dog person) and spend the rest of my life with my cats, historical romance novels, and a large garden.

Our second divorce, (stop looking at me like that, yes second) was final in Jan of 2007. If memory serves me correctly the x and I had no contact until mid February. He called me on a Friday night to ask if he could come over on Sat and have me sign the tax papers. His annual ski trip was on Sunday and he wanted to get them out in the mail.

So he arrives on Sat with said papers, and is not in the door two seconds when he starts sobbing and falls into my arms. "I just miss you." I didn't really know what to do, so I just stood there hugging him until he got it under control. I know I signed the papers, can't recall what else was said. He was probably in the apartment for ten minutes tops.

Sunday dawns bright and cold, and I am in high spirits. I can't deny that it did my heart good to see him miserable. After all the whole thing was his doing, and I had spent more than enough nights crying myself to sleep. Sometime in the afternoon I was puttering around eBay and found a soap dispenser that matches my kitchen dishes! I am mildly obsessed with dishes. Two minutes left to go, so I place my bid and WIN! With shipping the whole thing came to seven dollars. Woot! So I click to pay pal, pay for my dispenser and .....wait a minute? Oh, crap! That just came out of our (no longer) joint checking account. Well, hell. Thank God it's only seven dollars.

The next part of the story goes the way things always seem to go with me. I tend to fall into things assbackwards. I dance over to the phone to leave a message on his home phone. (no cell yet) I assume he'll check messages from the ski trip. As I dial I'm mentally preparing my "whoops I've stolen seven dollars from your checking account, and I'll pay you when you get back" message.

Phone rings, machine picks up, X's voice, "Hi, you've reached Steve and Tina, leave a message." As the red haze engulfs me, I hang up the phone. When I get that angry, I sit down and don't allow myself to move until it passes. If I get up there is going to be a "crime of passion", no doubt. I don't know how long I sat there. Unlike the last time I had the urge to do him in, it wasn't three hours later. :) Instead I decided to use the rage to my advantage and picked up the phone. I believe this is the message I left.....

"YOU COME TO MY HOUSE, SOB IN MY ARMS BECAUSE YOU MISS ME, AND YOU CAN'T BOTHER TO TELL ME YOU'RE LIVING WITH SOMEONE? THAT TAKES A LOT OF BALLS!!! I'm calling because blah blah seven dollars blah blah" *SLAM*

Then I got into my car and went to my sister's house where I ranted and raved for at least an hour. Part of it went like this:

Me: I am going over to that house and I'm going to burn it to the ground!

Kate: Joanie, you can't do that, it's still light out, and you'll get caught!

Me: Caught? Hell, I'm bringing hot dogs for the neighbors. We'll have a weenie roast!

Kate: SIT DOWN, you aren't going anywhere.

Details are a little hazy after that. I checked my messages awhile later and there was an apology from my x. He was on his way home from the ski trip because the stewardess (who was at home) was the one who heard the message and she was leaving him. Apparently she is unstable and he was afraid of what she would do to the house. HUH? See Kate, I would have gotten clean away with it!!

I know he and I spent some time together after that, but it was brief as the stewardess returned for another round of crazy. I began my online dating adventure, and started to move on with my life. There was one other episode involving her perhaps sometime that April. She was leaving him, and this area, for good. For some reason I was stopping over at his house after a staff meeting at work. When I arrived there was an iron sitting on the front deck. Odd.... So I knock at the back door and he peers around it with a frightened look on his face. "Oh, it's you" he says. "Quick, come in." So he explained that she was coming to pick up her iron, and again that she is unstable, so if "you are too scared to stay I understand." Enter the red haze..... and I replied. "She doesn't have the market cornered on crazy. She takes my life, and THIS is what she does with it??? You had better hope SHE doesn't run into ME!" With that, it was done. I shut the door on that part of my life, for what I thought was forever........ but that is another story. :)

Side note: I could never bring myself to use the dispenser, and it was sold for twenty five cents in a rummage sale last fall. :) Also, yes... I know that flight attendant is the appropriate name for the job, but she will always be "The Stewardess" to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment