Life Lessons

IF YOU GET A CHANCE, TAKE IT! IF IT CHANGES YOUR LIFE, LET IT!

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Happy Accidents

First off, I didn't give up blogging for the new year!  Wow.... I have thought about a few blogs, but evidently failed to get them "down on paper".  I will try to be better about that.  I can't even say that life has been busy.  It has been freezing, (20 below for days) and now that we've come out of that it rained.  We have pretty much been stuck at home, inside. 

Last night Vicki (my friend of 40 years) and I had a conversation about adventures, and incidents.  Apparently I'm boring now, and these odd little things that happen to me are not adventures, they are just incidents that happen to most people. (though we agree probably more to me than most) I am sliding into domesticated bliss, and she will have to live vicariously through some other nut. 

There's never a dull moment around here.  Today I was going to to do "poop patrol" and then take a hot bath and read a book.  (about summer)  While I was scooping poop the Brown Eyed Man was plowing up snow in the front to make room for the trailer to turn around.  Ice racing is just around the corner.  Winter came in fast, and  hard, so hopefully with everything else he can make that a reality this year.  Yes, he ice races, he also used to dirt track race.  He asked me to move my car, which I did, and then I heard a big BANG, BANG, BANG.  Plow truck shuts off.  The pin that holds the plow came off, and the welds busted.  So now instead of hot bath and a book, I am combing through five foot hills of plowed snow to see if I can find the dang thing.  (We didn't, but he found another one in the garage.)

If I had gone inside like I had planned I would never have learned the answer to a two year mystery around here!  We have this crazy big bird that makes the weirdest call, but neither of us ever saw it close enough to figure out what it was. We hear it all the time, every season.  I was actually on the steps, heading in and we heard it.  The Brown Eyed Man called to me that it was a woodpecker, and it was right back there in the trees.  I could kind of see something from the steps, but I had to know, so I trudged back through the yard, into the track on the side yard, and then finally out into the deep snow, just to get as close a look as possible. (Why I didn't grab my phone, or the binoculars..........)  It is HUGE!  Apparently we have a Pileated Woodpecker.  Just beautiful!  The Brown Eyed Man stopped working on the plow and came over, and we watched it until Jake got close and it flew off.  So there we stood, knee deep in snow, mystery solved because the plow truck tossed a pin.  A happy accident (serendipity.......which is one of my favorite words), and the only kind of adventure that holds interest for me these days!

No comments:

Post a Comment