Life Lessons

IF YOU GET A CHANCE, TAKE IT! IF IT CHANGES YOUR LIFE, LET IT!

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Fifty Shades of Green

Sorry to disappoint those who stopped in to read, thinking  this might be a blog about sex.  Ha.  It's pretty much the exact opposite.  It's about my adventures with motion sickness.

Ever since I was a child I have had a hard time sitting in the back seat of a car.  You could guarantee I would be nauseous by the time I got anywhere.  Today it even happens in the passenger seat when I'm driving with my sister in her Explorer.  It could be the height of the vehicle, but I think it's the driver. ;)  The worst experience I've ever had was a drive with her down to visit cousins who were at an art show in Cable WI.  It was the closest I ever came to losing my cookies.  I just leaned against the car in the Subway parking lot, hoping I wouldn't have to hurl in the grass, facing the oncoming traffic.  I knew that if I moved I was doomed, so Kate and I just stood there for ten minutes until the fresh air revived me.

I never feel well after I fly, but the last time I was up in the air was....... yep...... awhile back.  It must be almost ten years ago.  The motion sickness is much worse now, so that would be fun to try again. (sarcasm)  I made the mistake of getting on the Vista Star and heading out on Lake Superior on a windy day three years ago, without even considering that I would get sick.  Yeah.....  that was a lot of fun.   So boats came off the list of things I want to do.

The last fair ride I was on was the scrambler, with Ash, about twelve years ago.  Holy hell.  Never, ever again.  I may have been on a Ferris wheel since then, and I will stick to that.  Although again, my symptoms are much worse now.  Swinging on a playground swing will do it if I play to long.  (which is a shame, because I love it) Usually when I sit on a wooden swing, I don't swing.  I just move it a lil bit, same thing with a hammock. 

This past weekend I traveled with Vicki's sister, Deb, and her Mom, Barb, down to my Godsons' First Communion.  I'm so tired of being the person who has to sit in the front seat.  So, even though I hate to take meds, I finally decided to do something about it.  I picked up some Dramamine at The Walmart, and hoped for the best. 

Saturday morning I took one right before I drove over to Barb's.  It made my lips feel like they belonged to Angelina Jolie, and my nose stuffed up immediately.  I was a little concerned, so I told Barb about taking the meds, in case we were emergency room bound, so they would know what happened.  We packed up the car, and  headed out, with me stretched out in the backseat.  About a half hour down the road I could feel the nausea, so I took another pill, and that fixed it.  I was able to make a three hour drive in the backseat without losing it.

Apparently taking two pills makes me very groggy a few hours later.  I almost fell asleep on the floor while building a Lego star ship with Harry Potter Lego pieces.  I stumbled upstairs and announced I was taking a nap before dinner, and when Meg woke me up an hour later I was sleeping so soundly I could have slept the night away. 

On the way home I tried one pill again, with much worse results, but after the second one kicked in I was fine.  Later that night I couldn't keep my eyes open, but I guess it's better to be zonked than green!

No comments:

Post a Comment