Life Lessons

IF YOU GET A CHANCE, TAKE IT! IF IT CHANGES YOUR LIFE, LET IT!

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Grillin', The Final Chapter

After fortifying myself with three cups of toasted pecan coffee and a hearty breakfast made with farm fresh eggs (because I'm no longer scared of them...mostly....), I was ready to tackle putting together the lil grill.

I got out my tool box, and gathered my assistant. (like I had a choice)
 
 
Opening the box, it was as I had feared.  Every part had to be put together.  It didn't look to tough, but a LOT of screws.  I stared at it all for a few minutes, afraid to open the directions. 


*Sigh*  Alright Milkie, can I have the screwdriver?
 Hilarious............., now get out of the way.
 
 
I don't think it's in the box.


See, it's not in the box.  Silly kitty, let's get this business started!

It was pretty easy to get the top and bottom started.  Just putting on the handle, some hinges on the top and bottom, and a piece on the inside to hold the (here come the technical terms) thingy that covers the flame. 

It was this thing
 that caused the first moment of difficulty, and got a "Christmas Pickles, this is annoying!" for it's trouble.  Can you tell I took care of little ones?

The leg piece actually stopped me dead, because it didn't look at all like the picture, and was not going on in it's current form.  The directions were no help, so I just stared at it in a WTF moment.
Hmm....there's a spring, it must open.  Please don't break it......
 
Lo and behold it just popped right open into the correct shape and voila, we had legs!  Then I pinched my finger in the pliers and said SHIT, like a normal person.
 
Get ready for some more technical terms.  See that little rectangle piece of metal, just to the left of the turn on knobby?
 
It's known as the piece I thought was missing.  I looked high and low for what I thought was a black rectangle.  The other add on pieces were all black.  I was just working myself up into a good swear that would have had several f bombs in it, when I noticed a little metal rectangle hooked onto the flame cover thingy, that just might not belong there.  Sure enough it was the piece that needs to cover the hole on the gas tube. so we don't all blow up.  :)  Whew!
 
Overall the directions were helpful, right until the last part.  You can't just put on the bottom grill, the top one is in the way.  You have to unhook it and slide it through.  Not what the directions tell you, but I could figure that one out for myself.  After another WTF moment of silence.
 
TA DA!
 
and....
 
 
Chicken, zucchini, summer squash, and the foil packet is potato and onion.  Mmmmm it was so good!  It smelled awesome cooking, and I did it myself from start to finish.
 
This whole thing is so much more than buying/putting together/ grilling a meal.  It's a step out of complacency.  It's a step toward gaining a piece of my independent self back.  I have never in my life grilled a meal on my own, until today.  It has always been a "couple" thing, or the man in my life handled it.  I didn't even realize until the Brown Eyed Man came along that I was any good at it.  Still, it was a joint effort, because at the very least I'm afraid to light a big grill.  All I can see is the explosion that's bound to happen if I'm monkeying with anything. 
 
What do you know, nothing exploded!   (I rock) ♥
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment