Life Lessons

IF YOU GET A CHANCE, TAKE IT! IF IT CHANGES YOUR LIFE, LET IT!

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

My Menagerie

I always found it odd that I never, or hardly ever, saw animals or birds when I was "weekending" out in the country.  When I did see them, star nosed shrew, dead mouse in a trap, looooonnnnggg garter snake, wolf, or strange little birds that ran into the window and became Jacob's forever friends, it was usually some sort of incident.  Luckily, the wolf only scared the crap out of me when I saw him staring at me from the edge of the driveway.  Last thing we need is a wolf blog.

When I moved out to the country I put up my bird feeder just before the snow started to blow.


 For two solid months nothing touched it.  Then one day in the cold of January I noticed a trio of chickadees (my favorite birds) had finally found it.  Shortly afterwards two blue jay appeared, and then a downy woodpecker.  It's funny to watch them, because instead of battling for food, they are just like a little family.  Maybe it's because of the cold, and the fact that there wasn't much out there to scavenge for? 

Two weekends ago, with the warm up (FINALLY) we added this cute lil guy.  I call him Chip. (oh yes, they have names.  This has children's book written all over it!) (Yeah, Chip.......original.)



Then later in the week three red squirrels showed up. This one (Lil Red) is always at the feeder, the other two (unnamed as of yet) spend most of their time running all over the snow, across the creek, and up and down the trees.

We also added a grey squirrel this past weekend. (Grey Squirrel for now)

Two more blue jays showed up, and were arguing with Lil Red at the feeder.  I have yet to be able to get a picture of any of the Jays, but they are BEAUTIFUL.  The regulars are "Jack" and "Jill", and the new ones I called Mr. and Mrs. Blue Jay.  

Up above you will also see the most important member of my "crew".  It's Jacob!  He just turned two on March 2nd, and he is really looking for Chip in that picture.   He is loving all the added excitement in the yard.  Especially since the squirrels seem to be living in the big pine in the front yard, which is at the end of his tether, and he can keep a good eye on them!

Milkie seems to be oblivious to anything that goes on outside, which is much different from her life at the apartment.  She likes her own room, and enjoys taunting and ramming around the house with Jake.  They are actually much better pals than I ever hoped they would be!

So that's my menagerie!  I can't wait to see what shows up next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment