Life Lessons

IF YOU GET A CHANCE, TAKE IT! IF IT CHANGES YOUR LIFE, LET IT!

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Got Gas?

When I was a little girl, back in the seventies, my Mom would always gas up the car at "Panks" full service gas station, which was just around the block from our house.  She would pull up, unroll the window, smile purdy at the man who came a runnin' and say "Filler up please."  Then she would light up a cig, take a few long drags and relax, while the three of us were distracted by the goings on at the station. (Please see her in cat eye glasses, with red lipstick, because that my friends, was my Mom.) The best days were when we would get the car washed too.  That was awesome!  I couldn't tell you the last time I was in a car wash.  My current vehicle has a disappearing paint issue, and I'm afraid that if I take it in there I will come out sans paint altogether!

I have owned a couple of cars in my life, and they were fine, but this car, my Mitsubishi Eclipse, I love.  I don't care that it's 14 years old.  I don't care that half the paint is gone.  The car runs well, and got me though this winter alive.  It was love at first sight actually.  I saw a for sale sign in the window, realized it was a Mom's car from my four/five year old class at the Y, asked her the price, drove it around the block, and it was sold. 

While I love my car, it hasn't changed the fact that I have issues with car maintenance.  If there was a full service gas station close by I would pay more to go there.  I absolutely abhor anything that has to do with caring for the car.  I blame my Mom.  It was formed in my brain during my early years that there are people who take care of this sort of thing, but by the time I needed them, they were gone.  So you would think some big ol man in my life would just take care of it.  You would think that wouldn't you.  Nope. Never.  Not even the race car driver, although he will if I ask him, but I can tell he would prefer it if I were a grease monkey kind of gal. (NEVER gonna happen.  N.E.V.E.R.)  Although, I am so good at putting air in tires that I can eyeball when they are good to go.  Gauge smauge.  For whatever reason, I can't even remember to get the oil changed when I should.  The thought crosses my mind, and then seven months later it crosses my mind.........

For the record though, I did check the oil the other day, and when I had no heat in the car one day last winter, I knew the coolant was probably low.  I was the one who filled it.  I have learned where it goes and what to do, although I hated every minute of it.

That's a lot of rambling to get us to the story!  Oh well.  If you made it this far, here goes:

Every time I put gas in the car, and I have had this car for something like eight years, I eye ball the gas cap.  It's freewheelin', no cord to attach it to anything, so I am always terrified I am going to leave it behind.  You know, I'm me, and it doesn't take a whole lot to distract me from what I'm doing.  I have a ritual of how I do things at the station, so that the chance of leaving it behind is slim.  It ends with listening for the clicks as I tighten it back on.  I do the same thing each and every time.

Imagine my shock, surprise, and horror this past Saturday when I went to put gas in my car and the gas cap was (gasp) GONE!  What???  I had been driving around for days without it.  I tried to remember when and where I had gotten gas last, and I think I know, but I'm not sure.  I asked if they had a "lost and found for gas caps" but they didn't have any. :(  I always set it on the car, so I really could have driven for awhile before it fell off.  I'm not totally convinced someone didn't take it, because I am so dang careful about that.

So today I drove over to NAPPA before CeCe's spring concert at school, and bought a new one.  It's a cheap plastic imitation, but it fits, and it makes the clicking noise, so I should be able to continue my gas filling routine and not lose this one.  The guy at NAPPA asked me if I wanted a locking one.  I practically shouted NO at him.  "NO, I obviously have enough problems." is what I said.  :)  Cheezits, I can see it now.  Locked out of the gas tank...........

For the record, I handled it myself.  I did, however, try to get The Brown Eyed Man to do it for me.  "It's your gig." was the reply.  I can't wait til the next time he needs something.  (big grin) 




No comments:

Post a Comment