Life Lessons

IF YOU GET A CHANCE, TAKE IT! IF IT CHANGES YOUR LIFE, LET IT!

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

One Excuse (and) New Downtown

Is that Mrs. S eating a coney?

Today I met some of my gals for lunch at the new donut shop in town!  Yes, they also have a small lunch menu.  I didn't (just) have a donut for lunch.  The business is called "A Dozen Excuses", but let me tell you, the only excuse you need is that the donuts, and the coney's, are amazingly good!

Last week I tried their maple bacon donut.  Now, I don't really care for bakery items with maple, but it had bacon in the title, so I couldn't help myself.  Very light on the maple, so yummy, filling, fresh, and of course there was the bacon.   Today I tried a zebra twist, which is a twisted glazed donut with chocolate drizzle.  It was so light, but I think the freshness is what I love the most!  That and the price.  $1 for regular donuts, $1.50 for specialty.  My lunch was the #1 coney, which is a coney, chips, and a beverage for $4.00.  So for five and change I walked away full.  Plus, MOST importantly, the coffee is good.  You just can't have a donut shop with bad coffee!
I have honestly never had a coney before.  I made a pretty big mess with it, but it was really tasty!   I also must say, I did not get one drop on my clothes.  Anywhere.  REALLY!  Yes, I have witnesses.

Here is where I could break this off into two separate blogs, but I haven't been the best at keeping up with my writing lately, so I will link them together.

The city of Superior has been working at revitalizing its downtown for a few years now.  New road, new look, new businesses.  If you had asked me two years ago to spend an hour sitting outside downtown, I would have said no.  Even if you offered me money.  Dirty, nothing to do, and honestly scary.  In the daytime, and especially at night.

Today I parked a little farther away than necessary, just to enjoy the walk along Tower Avenue, and to see what people have been talking about.  It was so nice to see the area cleaned up, and it's a gorgeous day to be outside.  It's warm, but that ol Lake Superior breeze is keeping it nice.  My friends weren't at the donut shop yet, so I took the opportunity to just sit at one of the outside tables, and watch the world go by.  A few ladies stopped just to take a picture, and I asked the gal if I should move out of her shot, to which she replied, "Oh no!  Stay right there.  That makes it perfect!"  So if you see a picture of "A Dozen Excuses" with a lady in a red tank top trying to look nonchalant, that's me.  I hope I didn't wreck her pic........ (I'm pretty good at it.) 

When my own ladies arrived we ordered our food, and chose to go back outside.  It's always good to be able to catch up!  Girl time is so important, but that would be another blog!  So all in all I spent a good hour sitting outside on Tower Avenue.  We almost saw an old lady back into Melanie's car, but that was the most exciting thing that happened.  It was nice to see the steady flow of people, a lot of it families, into the new business.  Now it would be nice if more small businesses decided to start up, or relocate to that area.  I did notice that another new shop is opening a few doors down in October.

 In the 70's my Mom drove out to The Billings Park Bakery every Saturday to buy bread/buns/whatever for the week.  I could never see myself doing that.  I wonder though, if we are trending back from the Superstores to the Mom and Pop.  Recently we stopped buying meat at the big chains and have given all of that business to Superior Meats in South End.  It might be more expensive, but the portions are bigger, and more importantly, fresher. ( It tastes better too.)

I have lived in this area my entire 44 years.  I shopped the downtown with my Mom when I was little, and watched it die off when I was in my teens. What a nice change for the better! 

No comments:

Post a Comment