Life Lessons

IF YOU GET A CHANCE, TAKE IT! IF IT CHANGES YOUR LIFE, LET IT!

Saturday, August 16, 2014

Ice Cream (The Horror)

I don't even really care for ice cream that much, but apparently it is now the topic of three blogs.  In order to understand this one, you might want to check out:
http://www.queenie930.blogspot.com/2013/06/ice-cream.html

Which will help explain this one:

http://queenie930.blogspot.com/2013/08/ice-cream-rest-of-story.html

Which brings us to yesterday afternoon. 

Picture it:  It's a Friday afternoon in August, the temps are a little over eighty degrees, and it's about as humid as it can get up here.  I am dressed as cool as I can be while working in an office, and said office does not have air conditioning up front.  It is roughly three o'clock in the afternoon, and the week has been LONG.

Suddenly, through the open front windows, along with the humid hot air wafts in the distant tones of the (Can it be??) ice cream truck!  Yes!  Saved!  Again, I'm not a huge fan, but I was actually thinking more along the lines of a snow cone or popsicle.  I was so excited that I did almost blurt out ICE CREAM!!!!!  Which would have been hilarious.  I did text my youngest brother, whom I would always scream it with, and ask him if it would be wrong for me to scream ice cream loud enough for them to hear me down the block.

Then the hunt for cash began.  Well crap.  Looking in my purse I realized that I gave the last of my cash to The Brown Eyed Man.  He and his buddy did some work on my car and I sent it along to buy them a thank you lunch.  No good deed...........

The truck was almost upon us.  What to do?  Do they take debit cards/checks?  I was about to shout across the hall to my boss that I was grabbing a ten from the till and would write him a check when I got back inside, (He's cool like that. Of course offering to grab a treat for him, and the patient he was with too.) but the music stopped.   Stopped?  What?  The ice cream music never stops........

I ran over to the window, and there it was, in the back parking lot of Dodgie's, right where I park, turned around and heading the other way.  I'm sure my mouth was hanging open, and I tell you that in that moment I was eight years old, staring in horror as the ice cream truck drove away.  I slugged my way back to my desk, but stopped when I got back into the front office area and just stood there.  Defeated.  The Doc finished up and came up to where I was.

Doc: What's up?   (ha, ha)

Me: It went away.

Doc: What?

Me: The ice cream truck.

Doc: (chuckles) OH.

Me: Not funny.

So I went back to work.  Now, we have another ice cream/ ices truck that comes through town too.  It plays tropical music, not the usual ice cream truck music.  I'm actually much more interested in catching that one, since I would rather have an ice.

Picture it:  It's about a half hour later.  It's just one of those afternoons where you see every minute go by on the clock.  The Doc is in the waiting area near the open windows, and I am at the front desk.  All of the sudden there is tropical music!  Going about 45 in a 25mph zone and it zooms on by.

Me: YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!

Doc: (Looks startled by my outburst..... and he should be used to it by now.)  What??

Me: THAT WAS THE OTHER ICE CREAM TRUCK!

Doc: (laughter)

Me: NOT FUNNY!

(It was kinda funny)

So after work when I went to "The Walmart" to get Tater's birthday present I got myself one of those pop in the freezer alcoholic beverages.  Pina Colada.

SO THERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment