Life Lessons

IF YOU GET A CHANCE, TAKE IT! IF IT CHANGES YOUR LIFE, LET IT!

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Instinct

A couple of months ago we were smelling something awful in the house, but couldn't figure out what it was.  The hunt began, and I found a dead mouse, stuck in the trap.  It was on the counter, but when it snapped I guess it positioned itself where I just didn't see it at a glance.  The weather had been warm, and that created an awful, disgusting mess to clean up.  It still makes me gag.  So The Brown Eyed Man decided that we shouldn't keep the traps on the counter any more, and moved the next one to the floor.  I disagreed with this, because ( no, not because I always disagree with him) of Jake and Milkie.  I was pretty sure one of them were going to end up getting snapped.  So the discussion ended with the trap on the floor, and the disclaimer that it was his problem/responsibility if one of the pets got snapped with it.

The trap has been there for probably close to two months, and nothing.  I knew that a mouse was behind the stove (that's where they come in) because Milkie has been stalking that area for the last couple days.  The trap, however, remained empty.  Kate and I were just discussing this when she noticed it sitting there last Tuesday.  Let me reassure you Kate, neither of the pets got snapped. That isn't quite where this is going.

This morning I was standing at the patio doors, looking out on my little world, wondering where the chickadees were, when I suddenly noticed that the trap was gone.  I figured that Jake got a hold of it, and we would find it chewed up in the living room.  I was just thankful he didn't get snapped.  I told the Brown Eyed Man it was missing, and he came over to investigate.  Then the hunt was on.  Nothing to be found in the kitchen, and nothing in the living room.  Now we both became a little concerned that it was Milkie, so we went into her room and disturbed her morning nap.  Nothing on her paws or tail..........  Gave her a few pats, and headed back out to continue the hunt.  As I came out of the bedroom, something in Ash's room caught my eye.  There, in the middle of a pile of Milkie's toys, was the trap, along with the dead mouse.

There was a bit of Chimeleski Fun Time going on around four a.m.  I remember Milkie waking me up, and thinking she probably needed food.  I stumbled on into Ash's room, where I keep Milkie's dish up on the big daybed out of Jacob's reach.  She didn't pay much attention, she was more interested in battling with Jake.  I stumbled on back to bed.  If the mouse was in there at that time, amid her toys, thank goodness I didn't notice it!

So I guess that Milk has enough instinct to stalk the mouse, but maybe not to kill it.  Then, once dead, she added it to her toy pile.........  I'm not sure what that means.  I'm just glad it's gone, and glad she didn't drag it in to show me at 4am.  *shudder*


No comments:

Post a Comment