Life Lessons

IF YOU GET A CHANCE, TAKE IT! IF IT CHANGES YOUR LIFE, LET IT!

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Fallmageddon

The weather man says (I tend to listen with a grain of salt and keep an eye to the sky.) that we are heading for "Fallmageddon".  There's a system coming with heavy rain, gale force winds on the big lake, and a twenty to thirty degree temperature drop.  It's in the 70's today, and the high for tomorrow is predicted to be 48. 

Cloudy out?  (check)    Weird stillness in the air?  (check)   High humidity? (check) Alright, I might buy it.  I bought it last week and kept the dog inside for an eleven hour day and we didn't get a drop until I got home.

This morning Jake and I had to go on a hunt for the garden flag.  I had changed it to the fall flag, and didn't secure it with tape.  Heaven knows why, I always secure it with tape.  I took it as a sign and got everything else in the back in order too.  Flag secured, loose pots and smaller garden tools put away, everything else brought up closer to the house.

When all of that was finished we went over to the garden to survey what was left.  I grabbed a larger green tomato to put on the windowsill, and three cukes.  If things don't get destroyed we'll have a few more cukes (too little to pick) and maybe a couple tomato.  I'm not covering anything or worrying about it.  In fact, I may work on clearing some of it out later today if the weather allows.  Honestly, it has been the worst garden ever, and I'm kind of glad it's done.  Lots of improvement plans in the works, but I will also send a note to Mother Nature for a little better co-operation next Spring!

One of my fondest memories (and it makes no sense why) is coming home from school one Friday in Sept, and having to grab laundry baskets and head out to the garden in an ice rain to pick every blessed tomato we could find.  The wet freezing rain on bare hands, working together with my siblings with a sense of urgency, proudly getting the job done for my Dad before he got home from work.  I'm an odd duck, I know.

Well, I'm off to have lunch with my sister, do some shopping, and then come home and enjoy the rest of this day outside, since "Fallmageddon" will surely bring on the end of summer as we know it.  No, it wasn't an awful summer.  It was cooler and glorious, and I was able to spend most of it outdoors, which is unheard of.  I loved it.  MOVE SOUTH!  ;)

*Had to leave before I finished this, and it is warm and humid out here.  Feels like storm weather to me!  That's how it's all supposed to start.   Dum dum dummmmmmmm........................

No comments:

Post a Comment