Life Lessons

IF YOU GET A CHANCE, TAKE IT! IF IT CHANGES YOUR LIFE, LET IT!

Monday, September 8, 2014

Fifteen Movies

There's a facebook challenge going around where you name 15 movies that influenced your life, and you are only supposed to take 15 minutes to think about it.  I followed those directions, but then decided to turn it into a blog and elaborate on the when and why of each of them.  Excellent blog fodder, and I have a need to write these days.  Instead of nominating 15 people, which is the last thing to do, I am just going to encourage anyone reading to think about the movies they love, and how they have influenced their life.

(The Brown Eyed Man is going to say "Joe VS The Volcano".  I'm publicly apologizing for bashing your movie. ♥)

So here we go!  (These are also put in chronological order as to when in my life I saw them.)

BAMBI:  My Mom took me to see it when I was four.  I cried at the theater because Bambi's Mom died.  I cried on the way home, after we got home, and for several days.  I begged my Mom to take me back to see it again, and she flat out lied and said it was gone.  I must not have bought it, because I asked my Aunt Pat, who also fibbed. (dang Disney movies)

WIZARD OF OZ:  Apart from just loving this movie, it has made it's way though my whole life.  When I was a kid I would look forward to it coming on TV each year.  It was usually on at Easter time, and we would watch it at Aunt Mary's after dinner. One year I had to stay home with Dad and watch, because I had the chicken pox.  My own (Aunt) Dorothy has a birthday right around the time they usually showed it.  We sang all of the songs in a choral group I belonged to in grade school at St. Francis, (Seeway Songsters) and then of course I have watched it numerous times with my Goovers.  Especially the oldest one, it was the only acceptable sleepover movie for many years.

THE SOUND OF MUSIC:  I just love it.  We always watched it as a family when I was a kid.  It hit home on a bunch of levels.  My Mom had been a nun, we were Catholic, I wanted to be a nanny (check!).  I love the music, know all the words to all the songs, and have read the book.  We also sang the songs from this movie in our singing group at St. Francis.

GREASE:  Summer 1978:  I went to see this with my friend Laura and her older sisters.  I didn't understand half of the innuendo, but that didn't stop me from falling in love with the movie, and the music!  Shortly afterwards (Sept) I received the album (it was a double album) for my birthday!  My folks could not have bought me a better gift that year!

THE EXORCIST:  I am not making this up.  In eighth grade religion class, at Cathedral Jr. High, the PRIEST formerly known at FATHER (pedophile who is actually defrocked and in jail) showed this to us.  Scared the hell right out of me, and to this day I freak out just thinking about it. (plus a few other things)

GONE WITH THE WIND:  Somewhere in my high school years I discovered this movie.  I have also read, and re-read the book several times.  By best childhood/forever friend Vicki also loves it, so we have spent many hours watching it, and have even played the board game!  (She is a little obsessed.......)

THE PRINCESS BRIDE:  This is by far my favorite movie.  I think mostly because my youngest brother likes it too, and we would watch it together going line for line.  Wuv, twu, wuv..........  Inconceivable!  I watch it every chance I get.

THE QUIET MAN:  I discovered this movie St. Patrick's Day 1998.  I remember, because I was a nanny then.  My all time favorite "romantic comedy".  "It's only a good stretch of the legs."  I love John Wayne, probably because I always thought my Uncle Clate, whom I loved dearly, looked like him. ;)  I watch it every year on St. Patty's day!

STEEL MAGNOLIAS:  I saw this with Vicki and Kate (my sister) when it came out in 1998.  We went to the theater right after I got some devastating relationship news.  Seeing that movie with so many strong women in it was an inspiration.  I ended that relationship once and for all, and never looked back.

LITTLE WOMEN:  The movie came out in '94 but for whatever reason I didn't come across it until a bit later.  I love the book, and am currently re-reading it.  This is my favorite movie to put in when I'm not feeling well.  Plus, I love the characters, especially Wynona Ryder at "Jo".

FORREST GUMP:  This is another movie that I don't recall seeing in the theater.  I have watched it numerous times, and I love all the advice from his Mama.  Stupid really is as stupid does.

YOU'VE GOT MAIL:  Or I could have said Sleepless in Seattle.  I just love Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks together!  (Except in Joe Vs the Volcano............sorry sweetie.)

CHOCOLATE:  The movie is about a woman who dances to her own tune and runs her life according to her guidelines, and no one else.  Plus there's Johnny Depp........

EMPIRE RECORDS:  Another one that I found much later than it's release date.  The Brown Eyed Man introduced me to this one. ♥  I always think of it as "our" movie.

LIFE OF PI:  When this movie ended I felt like there was a rock sitting on my chest.  I don't think I care to ever watch it again, but it profoundly affected me, and prompted me to make some big changes in my life.

So there's 15!  I almost forgot The Sound of Music.  Someone would have caught it I'm sure, because if you know me, you know that I love this movie!  ♫ The hills are alive......♫



No comments:

Post a Comment