Life Lessons

IF YOU GET A CHANCE, TAKE IT! IF IT CHANGES YOUR LIFE, LET IT!

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Lemonade


Awhile back I wrote a blog entitled "Changes". I (who incidentally hate change) changed the name of my blog, the look of my blog, and the focus of my blog. In that particular piece, and perhaps in a few others I mentioned that I could feel change a comin'. It has been creeping up on me for some time now. I couldn't tell what, or when, but it has been doggin' my steps for months.

The last blog I wrote (Wow) was joking about the wishes I've made recently that have almost immediately come true. So after joking with you that I should play the lottery, I instead went to work the next day and hand to God, this is what I said to Tom and Christy on the playground. "I need something to happen with my work situation. Things have to change. It could be good fortune for others to take them out of my path in life, or something good for me to move me along. I don't care." I need to start putting duct tape over my mouth!

The very next day we are all pulled into a meeting, half staff at a time, with "Y" staff coming over to help cover us. This is highly irregular. So much so it has only happened one other time, in the 22 years I have been there, for a health insurance meeting. The point? The university is evicting us, and every other business in the building. Their dorm capacity is full, and the two dorm buildings left with business' in them have to be converted back to dorms before they can build new ones. There isn't much concrete information at this point, but the rumors were flying, so admin needed to let us in on it.

From what I understand, we have until June 2011 when our lease runs out. So my full time/full benefit job will exist until then. A task force is being formed to go over options from there. I assume they have three choices: Add on, rent new space, fold 'er up. The answers to those questions will come from the board, and wont arrive until the new year.

So now it is hard decision time for me. I heard the footsteps of change and here it is. While I am surprisingly sad, I know it's just a grief thing you normally go through with any "loss". What is really bothering me is that I have to make good choices that will keep a roof over my head, and staying in this profession is very possibly not an option. Benefits at any other center just aren't going to happen. People pay good money for daycare, but fail to realize that the teachers aren't getting much of it. As a business in general it is rarely a money maker. Home daycare is the way to go if you want to make the cash, but is so NOT an option for me. I'd go nuts. However, this is what I do, and I'm damn good at it.

To quote my favorite brown eyed man: "It's all good". At least I have some time. I guess my first decision is: Ride the ride til it's over, or get while the gettin' is good. Life has just dumped a big ol pile of lemons in my front yard. Anyone for a nice cool glass of lemonade? Now, where is that bottle of vodka???

No comments:

Post a Comment