Life Lessons

IF YOU GET A CHANCE, TAKE IT! IF IT CHANGES YOUR LIFE, LET IT!

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Queenie The Explorer

The urge I get to look into things is usually overpowering.  Whether it's getting to the bottom of a matter, pushing something to the limit  to see how far I can go, or physically monkeying with something.... just to see what will happen. 

This blog title is "Queenie The Explorer" but it turns out more like "Danger Prone Daphne" every time.  I have actually learned my lesson with this one.  At least as far as not touching buttons, knobs, or computer keys, to see what will happen.  There have been to many disasters.  Plus, I'm also the type of person who can just look at something and it will break.  (Those damn laundry doors at my sisters for instance.)  My youngest brother, who is an I.T. guy finally got it through my head to stop monkeying around with the computer when I don't know what I'm doing.  Now I stop and text or call him before I "see what this does."  When I get random messages I don't click on them to see what happens next, because it's never good.  Ever.

As a child I was the one who got into things she shouldn't.  I just couldn't resist the lure of "Don't touch that."  I think the reason was that no one ever stopped to tell me why.  If I can understand why I shouldn't then I don't.  If I'm left to wonder, well....... 

I'm not proud of it, but I have been known to mess with people also, just to see what will happen.  Although I haven't done that in a long time.  It would amuse me to watch them dance to my game.  I have never done that in a relationship though, that is one place where games do not belong.  It was mostly at my old job (YMCA).  Gossipy, nasty people deserve what they get. :)  Anyway, while it honestly never came back to bite me in the butt, it isn't nice to play around with people who aren't to bright.  So I stopped.  Well, maybe I just hang around with smarter people these days.

This whole blog actually came about because I had the opportunity to go exploring the other day.  If you look at a picture of my four plex you will notice windows on the third floor.
Supposedly there is a HUGE attic up there.  There are access doors in both of the upstairs apartments, but they are padlocked shut.  I want to know what is up there in the worst way!

Thursday, on my day off, I was around while the Handymen were working on the apartment.  I ran into the Head Honcho as he pounded the "For Rent" sign into the ground in the front yard.  After I asked just how much trouble I would get into if I moved the sign to the back yard, I asked how much the apartment was going for.  He told me that if I wanted to look at what they had done to it to go ahead up.  They were heading back to the shop, but it was unlocked.  So I did. 
Of course the first thing I notice is that the padlock to the attic is gone.  GONE!  So I run right over and open the door.  What else could I do?  The urge to know is just toooooo compelling.  It is a staircase that curves around, so I had to lean in without touching cobwebs to look.  I couldn't see a foot in front of my face it was so dark.  I didn't want to feel around for a switch, who knows what I might touch.  So I shut the door and went back downstairs to my apartment.

Then the wheels in my head start turning.  The door is open, I have numerous flashlights.  I will be up and back before anyone knows it.  Just WHAT is up there?  Then my saner self took over.  Can you imagine what could happen to you if you go up there?  You could fall through the floor, you could run into something gross, it's just to dark and creepy.  You don't belong there.  Stay out.  The urge to snoop was so strong that I actually removed myself from the situation.  I grabbed my laundry and headed over to Kate's. 

When I got back home the Head Honcho was here again.  I went upstairs, and while we were talking I mentioned that the lock wasn't on the attic door, and I asked him what the heck is up there anyway.  He said that it's just an attic, a huge open space.  However, he didn't offer to show me, and we were right there.  That really made me curious.  Curiosity will not kill the Queen.  Where is Scooby Doo when you need him?? 

No comments:

Post a Comment