Life Lessons

IF YOU GET A CHANCE, TAKE IT! IF IT CHANGES YOUR LIFE, LET IT!

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Cold Snap


 I have been waiting for what seems like forever for the temps to cool down around here, and they finally have.  This week has been gorgeous with highs of sixty and lows in the high thirties.  Leaves are turning, my allergies are acting up worse than I can remember, and I'm no longer roasting!  All summer long I complained about the heat.  It was a really long, hot summer around here, with a dollop of humidity thrown in for good measure.  This northern flower  could never survive down south.  When I ask people who live in warmer climates  how they deal with it, the answer is always air conditioning.  Don't you people ever go outside??  Not for me.

Now we reach the "be careful what you wish for" portion of today's blog.  Last Tuesday I tried the furnace, just to take the chill out of the apartment, and to see if it was working.  Oh you know it, nothing.  So I left a message for the landlord.  "Not an emergency as it's still fairly warm, but needs to be taken care of."  Then I called him back on Thursday and actually got him. 

Me: Did you get my message at the shop?

Landlord: Nope, been out of town.

So I 'splained the problem....

Landlord: That's a newer furnace, I'll give the guy a call who put it in.

Me ( In my head)  Are you on drugs?  I have been here for six years and it wasn't new when I got here.  PLUS you have never had it cleaned or checked.  (out loud) Ok, thanks.........

So then we roll around to this week, and one of the night time temps in the meantime was 25 degrees.  Granted, I didn't spend that night at home, but the apartment has cooled down to 60 now.  So I call him back on his cell on Monday and get to leave another message.  Tuesday my phone rings.

Landlord:  Is this number the person looking for a job?

Me:  NO, THIS IS JO, YOUR TENANT, WHO DOESN'T HAVE A FURNACE!

Landlord: *chuckles* Oh, yeah.  Want the good news? 

Me:  Sure......

Landlord:  It's going to be warm for the next couple days.

Me:  Very funny.

Landlord:  I'll call the guy and we'll get it fixed for you hon.

Me: (out loud) thanks.  (In my head) So you haven't even called the guy.  You lousy S.O.B.  If this isn't fixed by next week I'm going to go into the shop and pay my rent in person on Tuesday.  THEN you'll be sorry! OH, and STOP CALLING ME HON.

I know that I can't withhold a rent payment.  You lose in court every time if you do.  So I will go and write his check and inform him that he has one week to fix it, or I will report him to whomever you report these slumlords to, and you don't want me to do that, because if it takes up my time and irritates me I WILL make it worth the effort.  I also think it's time to get an electric heater, as he is now the one responsible for the electric bill. 

So, for the record, I am not complaining about the cold.  It's only a little rough after I get out of the shower.  My electric blankie works, and I have lots of warm clothes to snuggle up in.  I'm complaining because I have to deal with the landlord, and I do try to avoid that at all costs!


No comments:

Post a Comment