Life Lessons

IF YOU GET A CHANCE, TAKE IT! IF IT CHANGES YOUR LIFE, LET IT!

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Turkey Butts

It's the goofy things that make holiday memories, the "norm" just kind of blends together.  I'm writing this the day before the holiday because I'm afraid that I will be just to darn busy tomorrow!  For 43 years I have somehow avoided cooking an entire Thanksgiving dinner, but this year I did not escape.  I've watched enough turkey roasting to know what's what, and it isn't like I haven't cooked all of the other things at some point, so I imagine I'll do fine. (I almost burned the sausage for the stuffing already........)  Plus Kate is around if I have questions.

"Kate, how much celery goes in the stuffing?"

"Five stalks."

Seriously?  I expected the answer to be half a stalk or the whole thing.  She counts them??  Another huge difference between us.  We are both good cooks, but she measures everything and I just toss.  Don't tell her, but I used seven.

Anyway, back to the point.  The point is turkey butts, or the fact that odd things happening at holiday time are what the best memories are made of.  I have sat at dozens of Thanksgiving dinners, and they all blend together for the most part.  Last year I blogged about the wine glasses   http://queenie930.blogspot.com/2011/11/goblet-incident-of-76.html because that definitely stood out in my memory, and this year it's the turkey butts, or the one other year I made dinner.

A few years ago, when The Brown Eyed Man and I shared our first Thanksgiving together it went something like this......

The Man was going to go and spend the holiday with family and I was going to keep Sam, the dog, with me and just have a relaxing, quiet day, with salmon for dinner.  In my book that's a pretty perfect day.  Then Wednesday evening, oh, around four o'clock he calls.  "I don't want to go out of town, I want to have dinner with you."  Now that's all sweet and everything, but it's four o'clock on Thanksgiving Eve!  My reply?  " Oh my Gosh, we can't have a turkey dinner!  You are never going to find one now that's not frozen!"  Heck, he couldn't even find a frozen one.

I don't really remember much about the day except for the late dinner.  You know when you buy a processed ham and it has the ends with the little metal tabs on them?  That's what we had, except it was turkey.  Just the end pieces, or turkey butts as I prefer to call them.  We had turkey butts, stove top stuffing (gag), mashed potatoes that didn't come out right, and gravy.  Definitely not my favorite thanksgiving fare, but at least I spent it with my favorite guy and favorite dog. :) 

Here's hoping I can do better this year!  Regardless, I am truly blessed, and for that I am thankful!

Happy Thanksgiving!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment