Life Lessons

IF YOU GET A CHANCE, TAKE IT! IF IT CHANGES YOUR LIFE, LET IT!

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Merry Christmas


This picture says it all.  I feel trapped into "Happy Holiday's" at this time of year, and I'm tired of it.  I'm going to have to pc this blog, and I'm tired of that too.  The day I'm free to write exactly what I really think, well..... y'all better look out.  :) 

At what point did it become wrong to say Merry Christmas to the people you encounter during the CHRISTMAS season?  I know that it isn't the only holiday celebrated during this time, and when Hanukkah arrives I will say Happy Hanukkah to my Jewish friends.  I don't happen to know anyone who celebrates Kwanzaa, but if I did I would wish them that too.  I also know some people who are Jehovah's Witness, and if I see them, I'll just wish them a nice long weekend.  So what the devil is wrong with wishing me a Merry Christmas?

The answer?  Nothing.  I am done wishin' y'all Happy Holiday's.  I wrote it on my newsletter at work, and that's the last time.  Forever.  Most of you know I was raised Catholic, and immersed in it just about as deeply as one could be without taking any vows. :)  (Yes, I know that explains what my issues are in a nutshell.) I was so sheltered that I never considered there were people out there who weren't Catholic, and even when that realization happened, I certainly never thought about people not celebrating Christmas until probably my later teens.

I respect every one's right to worship or celebrate as they choose, or as the case may be, don't choose.  I am pretty liberal as far as most things go, but this ♫ We wish you a Politically Correct Holiday ♫ business is way out of control.  (this is the edited part..... ask me and I'll tell you. lol) 

When did this get so crazy?  For me, I know it was because of work, and within the last ten years.  We teach the kids diversity, which is a very good thing, don't get me wrong, but when we lose our own identity somewhere inside of all that, well that IS wrong.  My "Merry Christmas" isn't trying to convert you to something.  Ha, I don't have anything except apathy to convert you to these days.  I wish I did.  I'm not disrespecting your beliefs, I'm asking you to respect mine I guess.  Maybe that's it.  We've gotten so concerned about respecting everyone else and their beliefs that we've forgotten to respect our own.  I just want to wish you well, and yes I know, believe me I know, that the holidays are not a merry time for everyone.  If you want to wish me a Happy Hanukkah, feel free.  If you'd like to give me presents for several nights in a row, I'm down with that too. :)  I will sit down with you at your Kwanzaa feast, and learn about your values and traditions too.  If my African American niece understood it, we would be celebrating it and her culture to be sure.  Happy Holiday me and you're going to get a Merry Christmas back. :)  Complete with the "Ruthie" smile.

I snagged the above pick from Carissa Riddle's Facebook page.  It reminded me to write this.  Thank you, and hey!  MERRY CHRISTMAS! 

OH, one other thing.  I attended my nieces "Holiday" concert at Lake Superior Elementary last year and was pleasantly surprised to find *gasp* traditional (not religious, don't get your undies in a bundle) Christmas music on the docket.  Afterwards I made it a point to find Mr. Howard, the principal, and THANK him.  It was about damn time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment