Life Lessons

IF YOU GET A CHANCE, TAKE IT! IF IT CHANGES YOUR LIFE, LET IT!

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Dirty Laundry

I'm sorry, this blog isn't about gossip.  It's about my dirty laundry, literally.  Laundry has been the bain of my existence for most of my adult life.  It isn't the usual pain of ho hum have to do the laundry.....again.  It's the weekly decision of where it's going to get done.  Let me explain.

Apparently I have been on my own for twenty five years.  I know this because of all the obnoxious reunion reminders for next month.  I have finally caved in and decided to go, so THAT should be some good blog fodder. :)  Anyway, during the last twenty five years I have had easy access to a washer and dryer (in the same house) for maybe half of them?  The other years have been spent hunting quarters for the Laundromat or dragging my laundry to my sisters house.

My first apartment didn't have laundry, so I dragged it to my Mom's once a week.  It was the same story in my second apartment, and then in the mobile home I bought.  I just didn't have the extra cash to buy a washer and dryer to put in the space allocated for them.  Then I had a "live in" (my mother coined that one) and I wouldn't bring the joint laundry over to her house so the trips to the laundromat began.  Ugh, that must have lasted for five years.  On Wednesdays I got done at two so that would be laundry time.  Me, the laundromat crazies, and a good book.  I have blocked most of that out, except for watching a blizzard blow in one afternoon.

When we tied the knot five years later the "live in's" parents paid for half a stackable washer/dryer.  We used wedding money for the rest of it.  It was heaven!  Five years of being able to do laundry anytime I wanted!  I also got it in the divorce.  Well, o.k.  I had to pay him back for their half. (s.o.b.)  Most of you know that he and I got back together about a year after that. (ey yi yi) We moved uptown in 2003 and that house already had a washer and dryer, and while they were older, we just couldn't fit the stackable into that space.  So I left them behind.  HUGE mistake.  (Amid a few others.)

So life continues, with a washer and dryer in the same space.  There's another marriage and shortly thereafter another divorce.  I moved my little self to this very apartment where in the basement there were hook-ups.  Oh how I longed for my stackable!  Why didn't I store it somewhere?  Anywhere?? *sigh*  Well, I babysat for my sister every Tuesday night anyway, so that became laundry night.  If I didn't have to watch CeCe I would run over another time on the weekend and get it done.  That went on for almost five years. 

The landlord decided to take out all of the individual washer/dryer hookups in the creepy basement and put in a "pay" washer and dryer.  Now, this actually happened maybe two years ago, but I'm certainly not a fan of giving that man one dime more than I need to!  If I'm at Kate's on Tuesday anyway I'm going to bring laundry.  Free babysitting = laundry.  All my siblings know full well that if I'm watching kids I'm bringing laundry. :) 

During the last six months or so they haven't been needing a sitter for CeCe much.  My work hours have changed, and I don't really want to be doing laundry at my sisters til nine o'clock at night after working ten hours.  I have dropped my laundry off on my way to work and picked it up afterwards a couple of times.  Kate's good about helping me out in a pinch.  For the most part though I'm back to hunting down quarters.  Two dollars for the washer, and two for the dryer.  Now I'm not going to pay him that.  The laundromats in town aren't even that expensive.  I just use the washer, and then my huge dining room table/chairs become the dryer.  It actually works pretty well!  Half hour and done, if you don't count the drying time, in my own house.  It's the just the endless hunt for quarters........

No comments:

Post a Comment