Life Lessons

IF YOU GET A CHANCE, TAKE IT! IF IT CHANGES YOUR LIFE, LET IT!

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Snow Snake

I have seen the illusive northern Wisconsin snow snake! It was slithering wildly around the playground outside of UCC this afternoon! We watched it glide across the frozen snow, whirling and twirling, dancing on the wind. Don't worry, we were all safe. The wind chill never came above zero today, we were all watching out the window.

What actually happened: I was sitting on the floor singing with two of the girls, and little "C" walks over. He stops dead in his tracks and looks out the window. "Miss Joanie! There's a snake on the playground!!" I looked at him and said "It's winter "C", I don't think so. A snake would be frozen." The girls and I continued our song, but he just stood there looking out on the playground. So I got up to take a look, because he was definitely focused on something. A few other kids crowded into the window. We have these awesome windows with a box "seat" in them. They, and I were now all staring out the window at a snow snake. It was actually a curly reed, but it was blowing and twisting across the icy snow at breakneck speed, and it sure did look like a snake.

Of course, being the prankster that I am I grabbed the kids and yelled "It's a snake!" Of course they screamed and jumped and then we all laughed like crazy. This brought the rest of the crew over, including Mr. Tom, and we all watched the snow snake frolic around the playground. Tom commented "Easily amused." as the kids stared and laughed. Just then the snake whipped right over the snow hill and I burst out laughing. I looked at him and shrugged. "Apparently I am too."

Then the snake went out of the chain link fence, and got stuck just at the end of it. It was time for me to go, so I suited up and trudged across the playground to retrieve it for them. I tossed the snow snake back onto the frozen snow and watched it dance around some more. Man it was freezing out there. It has been over a week since the kids have been out, and tomorrow we'll be stuck inside too. I've cleared the calendar for Friday, we will be OUTSIDE dancing with the snow snake!!

When you work with kids some days are really rough (YESTERDAY) and you drag your butt home wondering why in the world you keep doing this. Then days like today come along and you get to watch snow snakes and laugh and be silly, and you remember why. ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment