Life Lessons

IF YOU GET A CHANCE, TAKE IT! IF IT CHANGES YOUR LIFE, LET IT!

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Color My World (part 2)

I'm going to start this off with an expert from a blog that my friend Marie used to have. 

"This is actually a topic that I have thought about for some time. My mom and dad both started going gray in their thirties, and sure enough my brothers and I are following suit. But even in my twenties, I thought about whether or not I would try to make myself look younger when the time came. And I always came back to no. Not that I think people who do this are somehow bad, it’s just not for me. I don’t want to try to hide the fact that I am getting older, to try to hide the way nature has made me. I have been known to put a few washable rinses in my hair from time to time (with girlfriends, or nieces, for fun), but I can count on the fingers of one hand how many times I have done that. I also try not to make it do things it doesn’t normally do (like straightening or curling). It’s my hair, it’s who I am, I keep it for myself and I’m happy with it."

Reading that last line, I think we feel the same way about our hair, but she is choosing to go gray and I am choosing to color my natural color for awhile longer.  I have to also interject that both Marie and I are making these decisions on our own.  I don't have a man pestering me about such things, and her husband loves who for who she is, not her hair color.  (LUCKY GIRL) 

Time has passed, and Marie is now faced with the reality of noticeably gray hair.  Her post about it on facebook the other night is what actually inspired these blogs.  

"For years, I've said I'm not going to color my hair - it has been a little gray for a while. This week, it sort of turned more gray. I am still not coloring my hair, but it is a little harder having to come to terms with obviously gray hair."

I admire Marie so much for accepting who she is.  It's a very brave and self confident thing to do.  I also thank her for giving me permission to use her words in my blog!  This is a very personal matter for women, and I guess the bottom line is, whatever choice you make, as long as you are comfortable with it, embrace it wholeheartedly!


No comments:

Post a Comment