Life Lessons

IF YOU GET A CHANCE, TAKE IT! IF IT CHANGES YOUR LIFE, LET IT!

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Skating

Goovers On Ice.... the final chapter?

Actually it's the beginning. The other side bar to the goover on ice story is the fact that their Great Grandfather was the first ever attendant at the rink in Alloueze! My Grandpa Meys lost part of his leg in a train hopping gone wrong when he was in his teens. It was hard to find a job back in those days if you were disabled, but he was eventually able to get on with the City of Superior, and worked as a janitor I believe (?) and also as the Ice Rink Attendant at the Franklin (Alloueze) rink.

My Dad taught me how to skate at that rink when I was just two years old. (on single blades, I told you I'm talented) He also taught my brother Jerry, and my sister Kate, and I taught my youngest brother David. I also have taken Ashlyn there since she was about four, and taught her to skate.

New Years day was always a skating day for us. Dad would line us, and assorted friends, up on the couch, put on our skates, pack us into the Volare wagon like sardines, and head on down to the rink for the afternoon. He didn't just sit there, he skated with us. Then he would make home made hot chocolate upon our return. Some other Sat afternoons he would take us to Wessman for indoor skating, but going in the circle has never appealed to me. I had actually forgotten about that until I started writing this.

Mom was not an outdoors woman, of any way, shape, or form. She did take her turn bringing us to skating lessons though, but that was always indoors. One time she got up on my roller skates though. I have some fabulous pictures somewhere of that! There aren't any of Dad skating though. He never brought the camera, and that was a few years before the invention of the cell phone. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment