Life Lessons

IF YOU GET A CHANCE, TAKE IT! IF IT CHANGES YOUR LIFE, LET IT!

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Auntie's Day

Today is Auntie's Day!  Finally, a day for some of the other women in our lives, important women who may have played a big part in shaping the person we grew to be.  I hope that you are lucky enough to have one.  I consider myself lucky to be one, and am always mindful of the role I play in the kids' lives.  Well, that's part of what I do, being a preschool teacher and all, but even if I weren't I know how important it is to be a good role model.

I have a half dozen or so Great Aunts that have been a small part of my life, although Sister Eva Jean was a bigger role in our family life.  From these women I gained a sense of family connection, and more importantly from Sister Arlene my love of music.  We also share a talent for it, and apparently also the love of writing which I didn't find out until she was gone.  If I had followed the regular college route I would have tried Viterbo in LaCrosse due in large part to her.

I have three Aunts.  Aunt Dorothy was the visiting aunt, so it was always laughter and good times.  I was excited to visit her, and excited for her to arrive at our house.  I have mentioned before in one or more of the "Traveling to Madison" childhood story blogs that she has the most crazy, amazing laugh.  No one else can top it, I promise.  Aunt Pat is the local Aunt.  She is the one I have the most contact with, although admittedly not enough.  She's there for me though, always in my corner no matter what nuttiness is going on, and I know it.  Then there is my Aunt Mary, my Mother's sister.  My one and only by blood Aunt, and also my Godmother.  The original Queenie.  If you take my no nonsense, absolute control, give me a situation and I'll handle it, side and amp it up by three.....that's my Aunt Mary.  She was Director of Nurses at St. Joseph's here in town back in the day, and I'm sure that she ruled that roost with an iron fist.  She absolutely told it like it was, no holds barred, and she pulled no punches.  She's been gone for a few years now, and I can't tell you how much I miss that strong presence in my life.  She put me in charge of some of her affairs, including her final send off, and I'm so honored that she knew she could trust me to carry out all of her wishes.  Which I did, exactly as specified, because even in the great beyond you do not mess with Aunt Mary. ♥

Many women pass though our lives and leave a footprint on the wonderful woman we grow to be.  Aunts or not, to those who have left their imprint on who I have become, I thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment