Life Lessons

IF YOU GET A CHANCE, TAKE IT! IF IT CHANGES YOUR LIFE, LET IT!

Saturday, July 16, 2011

H.H.W.T. Whirlwind

This is a Happy Hour World Tour blog!  I'm having a little trouble coming up with an interesting PG version of last nights events.  The other stuff is so much funnier.  Scaring away the third base coach.  (Perhaps our discussion of the male anatomy was a tad too loud?) Is "Commando" Quinn really playing baseball that way?  (No, there were batman underwear disclosed to ALL of us later.)  Is Danny Boy really coming in from the outfield smoking???  Yes, yes he was.  Did that jerk really just call the ump a douche bag?  Would it be wrong to tattle on him?  We raised our hands, but no one called on us. :) 

The weather forecast for last night was kind of "iffy", so we decided that instead of getting drenched on a deck we would check out some of the establishments that do not offer that amenity.  

Our evening started off at "Grizzlies", now you are going to have to excuse my lapses in memory because I started off with a "Titanic Tea" and I should never, ever, ever, drink Long Island Tea.  It is sooooo gooooood, and true to form, two inches into the glass and I'm giggling like a nut.  The strawberry tea, and the service were very good.  The food and the prices, not so much.  Let's see.  There is a three apps for 9.99 deal, so since we knew we were going to several establishments that seemed like a good place to start.  Potato skins, (bacon on the side for the vegetarian) onion rings, and cheese curds were what we chose.  The tiny plate of food that arrived was kind of a shock.  We're used to the app platter at C's, where the food is cheap, plentiful, and delicious! (Too bad they closed.) What arrived was definitely the opposite.  So we each had our little portion and then climbed into Lisa's Jeep Liberty to head out to the next destination.  Yes, I had to leave my car behind.  I freely admit that I can not hold my liquor, but at least I'm smart about it!

Our next stop?  Aces on 29th.  Now, we have had some bad experiences here.  The food has always been good, but the service absolutely sucks.  Not just a one time thing, and many different friends having the same issues on different occasions.  We have shunned it for awhile, but heard there were some changes, so decided to stop in and take a chance.  I figured I could at least write an evil blog about them.  We were pleasantly surprised to say the least!  Nice happy hour prices, the three dollar watermelon martini was FABULOUS!  I tried Lisa's melon martini, but tooooo much orange juice for me.  We decided to order the app sampler to put it right up against what we had at Grizzlies, and let me tell you it was far and beyond the winner!  Generous portions of really good apps.  The BEST part of Aces was Nick, our server.  When he came to see if we needed anything else some old song had just come on  and we three were swaying to the music..... he walks up and says "Is everyone good?"  Kerri responds with "We're just swaying."  Lisa adds "Sway with us." and he does.  I like the general ambiance of Aces, so it will be nice to be able to go back!  This is also the bar I see when I look out the windows at work, so now I will be thinking about watermelon martini's when I'm tearing my hair out!

We wound our way over to O'Neils, (I believe that was the drive where Kerri and I were singing loudly to "Already Gone" by the Eagles, and Lisa, who does not sing, was waving her pointer finger to her "part". ) and just chilled on one of the couches for awhile.  Good happy hour price, so-so whiskey coke.  The guys were playing ball at nine and we were trying to get a babysitter for Kerri so we could go.  Lisa pulled a fabulous Mom move on her teenager and sealed the deal.  Em didn't really want to babysit, she just wanted to hang out at home with her boyfriend.  The boyfriend, however, is allowed to go with to Kerri's while she babysits.  So Lisa says, "Well, it's your choice.  I'll be home soon."  Em says "What?"  "Well," continues super Mom, "If we don't have a sitter then Kerri can't go, so I'll be home soon."  Leaving the teenager with the choice of alone time with bf at Kerri's or  together time with Mom at home.  mua haha!   One sitter procured!

Did you know that UV makes a birthday cake vodka?  It's pretty damn good!  Yes, at this point my car is still parked at Grizzlies.

Our three stops actually only took two hours, leaving us plenty of time for wardrobe changes, and visiting while waiting for the sitter.What a fun way to spend a summer night!  Minus the bugs.  We were the only fans in our section of bleacher so we just chatted away while the guys played, and cheered and laughed, and scared away the previously mentioned third base coach for the other team.  After the game (ended early in our favor by the 10 run rule) we piled into Kerri's car and took Commando along for the ride down to where Ben and Rookie were parked, and then all hung out there chatting for a bit.  One last stop at Players in Duluth, that's the bar they were playing for on this particular night.  Nice enough bar, but I had stopped drinking quite some time before.  I knew I'd be the last driver of the night.  I did have a sip of something called apple pie and oh my goodness was that good!

The deal with the sitter was that we be home by eleven, and we were true to our word.  This is a huge blog, but we covered a lot of ground last night!  P.S.  Lisa and the bartender have mended fences so while we continue the world tour we will still be able to go back to home base on occasion!  So far The Shack is still head and shoulders above the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment