Life Lessons

IF YOU GET A CHANCE, TAKE IT! IF IT CHANGES YOUR LIFE, LET IT!

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Fair Weather Friends

I was thinking about splitting this blog into two, but the stories intertwine, so we'll see if I can do a decent job with the whole shebang!

Steve (xhubster) and I went to the Head of the Lakes fair, in Superior, together yesterday.  While we hang out from time to time, it's the first fun thing we've done together in years.  The day dawned HOT and muggy, becoming quite miserable by mid-afternoon.  We backed our fair start time til 6pm, but it really didn't help any.  I ran for the cheese curds right when we got there, because in that heat I knew I wouldn't be hungry for long, and I wasn't.  The icee was the  best thing I ate until the later night brownie sundae.  We slogged through the midway, and the barns, then found a fairly cool spot to just chill for a bit.  We had a nice visit, and some serious conversation about some things going on in his life.

The main concert, Pure Prairie League, (70's band that I barely know) was scheduled for 8, and at about 7:45 the texts start.  The gist of them is this:   The band came in to The Shack on Friday night, they were staying at The Baywalk Inn which is a block behind, and Jon met some of them.  They became pals and he got backstage passes.  Oh and by the way, they'll be back at The Shack after the concert if you guys want to join us!

Steve and I wandered over to the concert area and listened for a bit, then Lisa and Jon joined us and we all had a rather nice time!  The band sounded amazing.  They are, after all, not spring chickens anymore.  There are two younger guys in the group, and then some original members.  Awesome show!  Steve and I held hands through "Let me love you tonight" which I didn't realize they sang, and then when they sang "Amy" at the end he put his arm around me, and I put my head on his shoulder and we swayed, just like old times.  Too bad there weren't more moments like that in the old times.......perhaps there wouldn't be an X in front of his name.  It was sweet, and romantic, and a good time.  The sun went down (thank God) and we spent another hour re-walking the midway, under a big full moon, just enjoying each others company.  Oh, and a huge brownie sundae! 

This is the part of the story where the new me kicks in.  Normally the end would have been, Steve dropped me off at 10:30, I took a shower and went to bed.  After all, it was 10:30.  Who knows what I might miss on Sat night live.  The apartment was so stuffy.  I kicked the sandals off my aching feet, sat on my throne chair and contemplated life.  Pick up your phone dummy, this night is NOT over.  So I did, and then headed out to The Shack, where I met all the members of the band and visited with them, and Lisa and Jon, for about the next hour.  I learned a few new jokes.......that I might repeat to some of you in private......oh...here's one.  What did the buffalo say as his son was leaving?   Bison.   Ha.  Hilarious to drunk people. 

So a little after midnight we start saying our good-byes.  I really wish I had had the guts to have Mike sing for me, baby steps I guess.  I did, however, end up giving John, the keyboard player a ride back to the hotel.  He was stumbling around the parking lot, and asked our Jon for directions to the hotel.  I looked at Jon and said, Does he need a ride?  All I could see were the band member found in ditch headlines.  So Jon the band member climbed into my Eclipse and vroooom off we went into the night.  Very nice guy.  They all were.  To my brother in law Tom:  Yes, he remains a chaste, pure, keyboard player.  Sixty-six, married, and extremely intoxicated just really isn't my style.  :)

I'm so proud of myself!  If you get a chance, take it.  If it changes your life, LET IT!  Yesterday I crashed the bouncy house.  How about you???

OH, I almost forgot.  After knowing Lisa for....geez, I don't know, fifteen years or so.  I finally heard her sing!  Not bad my friend, not bad at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment